A Massachusetts man was struck by a car in Palm Beach Gardens on February 27, 2018. He was transported to St. Mary’s Medical Center in West Palm Beach, where he later died of his injuries. Police report that Frank M. Vatalaro, aged 62 years old, was attempting to cross Military Trail when he was hit by a Saturn SUV. Drugs and alcohol use were not believed to have played a role in the accident. This case highlights the dangers that pedestrians face when traveling in our area.
Serious Risks for Pedestrians
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 5,300 pedestrians were killed by vehicles in the year 2015. Risk factors for pedestrian accidents include the following:
- Almost one-fifth of all pedestrians killed were 65 years of age or older.
- Alcohol was a factor in nearly half of all accidents involving pedestrians.
- Urban areas were also high-risk areas, especially at night or during periods of reduced visibility.
- Crossing the road anywhere other than a marked intersection significantly increased the risk of a pedestrian-vehicle accident.
When these accidents do occur, consulting with a qualified Wellington personal injury lawyer can provide added help in obtaining a fair settlement for injuries sustained by pedestrians.
Taking Steps to Protect Yourself
If you must walk on or near high-traffic areas, a few simple steps could provide you with added safety on the road.
- Avoid using mobile phones and other devices that could distract you from traffic conditions around you.
- Carry a flashlight and wear reflective clothing at night to boost your visibility to cars and trucks on the road.
- Stay on the sidewalk whenever possible. If no sidewalk is available, walk on the outer edge of the shoulder facing the flow of traffic.
Even the most careful pedestrian could become the victim of an auto accident. Retaining the services of an experienced Wellington personal injury lawyer is the best way to achieve fair compensation for your medical expenses and other costs associated with these serious accidents.
At Elstein Law Firm, we specialize in providing you with the most comprehensive support for your personal injury claim. As a leading Wellington accident attorney, we can deliver the right representation for your case. Call us today at 561-422-9888 to schedule a free consultation. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you.